Episode 16: Girl Power!!!!!
*Warning! Adult language in this episode.
On day 588 of entrepreneurship, we're celebrating GIRL POWER! We just hosted the inaugural UPLIFT, a 2-day retreat for women in fundraising in Phoenix. Those ladies blew us away and we are still reeling from the connection, honesty and bad-assery in the room.
- It's time for a new workplace. Minimum compliance & maximum widget production are in the past. For innovation, collaboration and nimbleness, we must focus on building healthy teams, embrace the personal as integral to the professional & lift one another up.
- You decide what success looks like. Get rid of the shoulds. Ignore those flawless Instagram stories. Focus on what brings you joy. Define and redefine what success means to you - not to everyone else.
- Show up for yourself. Hold workouts, massages, alone-time and girls' trips sacred. Give yourself space to think big. Give yourself permission to cry and to be pissed off. Be all-the-way you and you will find your tribe.
- UPLIFT: balance between professional & personal [5:56]
- You can't have a fulfilling life if things are shitty at work. [8:00]
- Today, why are you here? [9:15]
- Girls: mean, spiteful, jealous, cliquey? [11:00]
- Nancy cried in public! [12:20]
- Super-shy & oblivious [13:13]
- Painfully nerdy & the path out (sort of) [15:23]
- A tribe of women [17:12]
- Authentic connection [18:00]
- Socialized collaboration [18:29]
- Women can create a new workplace [19:01]
- The culture of fundraising [20:21]
- Head down. Do the work. Happy bubble. [21:41]
- How do you show up? [22:28]
- Respected vs. liked [23:48]
- Redefine success & power for you - not everyone else. [26:22]
- Less multi-tasking! [32:16]
- Their priority vs. your priority [33:18]
- Discipline is freedom [35:17]
- Show up for yourself [37:17]
- You guys, we took a pole-dancing class! [38:51]
- Emotion [41:13]
- Jen Palmieri: "When you put it all out there, they can't hurt you." [44:00]
- Perfectionism [45:11]
- Vulnerability is the only way to find your tribe [47:39]
- Dudes, hug a lady in your life. [50:16]
**Stay tuned for the next UPLIFT announcement!**
Is there a cool thing we should try in your town? Tell us where to go & what to do.: [email protected]
Mentioned in this episode:
Jen Palmieri - author of NYT #1 Best-seller, Dear Madam President (and keynote speaker of the very first UPLIFT)
Brene Brown - her Netflix special is so good!
McKinsey study: Women in the Workplace
Shawn Achor - author of Big Potential
HBR article - Why Women Stay Out of the Spotlight at Work
Teaze Dance & Fitness - OKC
Right click and save as to download this episode to your computer.
Subscribe on iTunes & LEAVE US A REVIEW!